1 week to go

So that's my third week of Surgery done and yet, ironically, I have seen no surgery this week. I was meant to be driving up to Scotland with my friends (mid-week, brave, I know) but had to cancel last minute as it began to snow here. I didn't want to risk being stuck, but had already taken a morning off by that point.

On Monday we had a clinical skills day at another DGH. We learnt how to catheterise a man, a woman, subcutaneous injections and intramuscular injections. The idea of this clinical skills day is to teach us how to do these basic skills nice and early, so that we can go onto the wards and practise them on real patients. What then, is the use of giving us this day in our penultimate week? I have no idea. I also don't know why they insist on sending us to an even further away DGH to do this but I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here; money, resources, people.

Tuesday, Clinical Debrief and Wednesday began the onslaught of trying to find people to get things signed off. Yesterday I had the remaining prescription tasks to do - which thankfully, I've got all sorted. My only remaining one is Obs. This is the most annoying one because doctors don't really do Obs unless patients are critically unwell. Nurses, HCA's even do Obs. Getting this signed off is going to be a royal pain in the arse - I might have to go to A+E and beg one of the doctors I worked with to get me signed off.

Yesterday, despite being home the whole afternoon suddenly turned into me lying in bed and watching Girls. I did a bit of work, had a nap, and lay down for about 6 hours. Did another hour of work, had dinner, had a cig, got back into bed! Not productive, but I blame the publishing of our formative OSCE for that. Speaking of which... next post: feedback!

Comments